About Colonel Terry Virts
Colonel Terry Virts (ret.) is a U.S. Air Force test / fighter pilot and NASA veteran of two spaceflights – a two-week mission onboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour in 2010 and a 200-day flight to the Space Station in 2014-2015. He is a celebrated thought leader, speaker and author who is currently working on multiple projects, including a new book and television series.
His seven months in space included piloting the Space Shuttle, commanding the International Space Station, three spacewalks, and performing scientific experiments, all while working closely with multiple international partners. Virts flew with and led Russian Space Agency cosmonauts during some of the most tense relations with Russia since the Cold War.
While in space he took more than 319,000 photos – the most of any space mission. These images are an integral component of the IMAX film A Beautiful Planet, which Virts helped film and appears in.
Virts’ National Geographic book, View From Above, combines some of his best photography with stories about spaceflight and perspectives about life on earth and our place in the cosmos.
An in-demand speaker at events across the globe, Virts’ topics include stewarding our environment, better understanding life on earth through the lens of global wealth, risk and crisis management, the importance of innovation in design, strategy and vision, and intercultural leadership.
- The Hill. The case for a Space Forceop-ed
- The Washington Post. I was an astronaut. We need a Space Force.
- Arstechnica. Op-ed: The Deep Space Gateway would shackle human exploration, not enable it.
- NBC Mach. Surreal' Phone Call Helped Make This Test Pilot an Astronaut.
- NBC Mach. Ex-Astronaut Offers Bold Three-Step Plan to Put Humans on Mars
- CBS Evening News
- FOX Business
- CNBC. ISS Commander: Bezos will have a bigger impact on space than Branson or Musk
- Yidan Prize. W/Peter Lewis
- FOX Business. Who should run Trump’s Space Force?
- BBC World News.
- The Weather Channel.
- TRT World. Space Odyssey: The next intergalactic battleground?
- CGTN. Live: Interview with NASA astronaut Terry Virts NASA
- Watch the Total Solar Eclipse | National Geographic
- FOX31 Denver.
- London Real. Terry Virts - A Beautiful Planet - PART 1/2 | London Real
- London Real. THE OVERVIEW EFFECT - Terry Virts
- CBS Baltimore. Coffee with: Terry Virts
- CNBC. Astronaut snaps out-of-this-world views of Earth.
- Smithsonian. Meet Astronauts Terry Virts & Samantha Cristoferetti
- Space.com. Shuttle 'Business Trip' vs 'Moving' To Station - Astronaut Terry Virts Interview
- USAF. Exclusive interview: NASA Astronaut, Air Force Col. Terry Virts
- NASA. Space Station Crew Discusses Life in Space with the News Media
- HBS. An Inspiring Leadership Q&A with NASA's Terry Virts, presented by HBS Executive Education
- FOX NewsNASA astronaut describes 'profound potential' of breakthrough space experiments
- Space News. Former astronaut criticizes lunar gateway plans
- Time. Exclusive: Astronaut Terry Virts on the Power of Space Photography
- Time. NASA Could Have People Living on the Moon in 8 Years. And That's Just the Beginning
- Arstechnica.NASA says it’s building a gateway to the Moon—critics say it’s just a gate
- Space News. A space corps in the U.S. military a ‘no brainer,’ says former astronaut
- NatGeo. NASA RESPONDED TO RAPPER B.O.B’S FLAT EARTH PLANS
- Space.com'Star Trek' Cameos Help Astronauts Live Out Sci-Fi Dreams
- Huffington Post. Astronaut Terry Virts On Perspective, Politics And Our Beautiful Planet
- Baltimore Sun. Astronaut Terry Virts talks space photography, science fiction and growing up in Columbia
- VOA. What Is It Like to Become an Astronaut?
- The Verge. NASA astronaut records stunning view as he flies across the night sky
- NASA. 4K Camera Captures Riveting Footage of Unique Fluid Behavior in Space Laboratory
- Huffington Post. Astronaut Terry Virts Captured Breathtaking Photos, Video While In Space.
- ABC news. Astronaut Gets Sweet Message He Can See From Space
- The Verge. NASA astronaut gives Leonard Nimoy the Vulcan salute from space
- The Washington Post. Meet ‘Astro Terry’ Virts, America’s next big space star